Saturday, June 20, 2009

Daylilies, Fathers Day

I went to visit a daylily farm this week. Wow what a rush. Walking through the flowers both takes your breath away and fills you with serenity. As you probably guessed from the cat in the picture below, these are my daylilies. I wish I'd taken my camera when I went to the farm. Whippoorwill's Call has over three hundred varieties and I very much would have enjoyed sharing them with you. I'm currently writing a book on flowers and Joyce and Jimmy Rumple, the owners of Whippoorwill's, were kind enough to spend a lot of time explaining the ins and outs of daylilly farming to me.

If that wasn't enough, I was given a piece of Joyce's homemade peach cobbler. Yum.

I will share a little tidbit (no not the cobbler) that they shared with me. Do you know, you can break off a daylily and set it on your table without putting it in water and it will stay fresh and crisp all day?
Alas, these beautiful flowers are short lived and whether they are on a stalk or sitting on your desk, at evening the flowers close up not to bloom again. Lucky for us, each day lily produces more than one flower and gives us several weeks of enjoyment during the summer, especially if you purchase early, midseason and late bloomers.
If I'm not online tomorrow, I want to wish all you dads out there a restful, funfilled Father's Day, surrounded by your family. Enjoy.







2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love lillies but I tend to buy the Orietntal or Asian lillies as they will last 7 days at least

Shelley Munro said...

Day lillies are very pretty. We have white lillies that come out around Christmas time. They're really pretty. I don't know what they're called, but we call them Christmas lillies. :)