Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Just In Time For Halloween....Psychic Vampires




Is there a Psychic Vampire in Your Life?
Vampires have come a long way from the old black and white stills of Count Dracula in movies of the 1930s and 1940s.  If someone came to your door looking like that cartoonish stereotype—unless it was a Halloween costume party—I expect you wouldn’t invite them across your threshold.  
In modern-day media, vampires are somewhat prettier and more alluring---a la True Blood, The Originals or even Buffy and its progeny.  (Whether vampires should sparkle in the sunlight or not is a debate for another time.) But there’s no question that the appeal of the dark, mystical vampire sits well across the generations.
Whatever they look like, though, one of the traits they tend to share in common is that they drink the blood of others to replenish their own vitality.  As Louis says in Interview with the Vampire: “Blood, I was to find, was a necessity as well. I woke the next evening with a hunger I had never felt.”
But the literature also tells of a kind of vampire that never has to take a drop of blood from its victim: the psychic vampire. What this sort of vampire seeks out is the xi, or the life force energy inside a person. In the same way that a “traditional” vampire sucks blood to strengthen himself, a psychic vampire will drain her victim of energy, leaving them with “general debility, lack of motivation and energy, an emaciated physique, a pallid complexion, and an overall sense of weakness,” according to Dr. Bruce Goldberg.
Dr. Goldberg finds five types of intentional psychic vampires, as well as those who don’t intend harm, but inadvertently suck up their friends’ positive energy, a state he calls “psychic parasitism.”
Have you ever felt like the person you’re talking to is absorbing your energy, your very breath? We’ve all met someone who just leaves us feeling exhausted and without resources after a meeting or conversation. Perhaps it’s that woman in your office who always has major drama going on and she can’t wait until you step into work to tell you her latest tale of woe. Five minutes into your day, and you’re already wiped out. Or if we’re service providers, clients can also leave us feeling the same way. People who thrive on drama every moment can debilitate those of us who have achieved calm in our own lives.
For those who are intuitive, or empaths, this may set you up as a victim, especially in places full of people, like sporting events, shopping malls or other crowded venues.
Dr. Judith Orloff has written often on this issue and how people might protect themselves from psychic vampires:  the easiest one is just walk away. She also suggests that you visualize an energy shield of bright white light around you that you can use at “family dinners or social events where you're trapped.”
Georgia MacLeod goes so far as to suggest that carrying an amulet might be appropriate as a defense.
Does this feeling sound familiar? Take notice of how people around you make you feel, and then take steps to strengthen yourself, set proper boundaries and feel better.
LOVE ME, KISS ME, KILL ME excerpt
Running away isn’t necessarily the answer.

In her mad rush to escape a failed marriage, Sara Woods takes the first job available and lands in the middle of a mystery. Her first assignment as a news reporter for the Ralston Courier is the investigation of a string of deaths, all young women, all her age.

She becomes a patient at the Goldstone Clinic, a local mecca of healing, to deal with chronic pain from her past. But all is not as it seems at the Goldstone, its doctors and nurses are all the picture of perfect beauty and health. Patients at the clinic first seem to get better, then they deteriorate. Sara enlists the help of Dr. Rick Paulsen, who teaches her how to access her internal power, skills she never knew she had, revealing secrets from her past. Police officer Brendon Zale also takes an interest in Sara, but he acts like a stalker, watching her every move, and he won't leave her alone.

As she digs deeper into the story, and more young women die without explanation, she tries to choose allies wisely, but not till the last confrontation does she discover the identity of her true enemy.

By then, it’s too late.
Find out more at http://lyndialexander.wordpress.com
  Looks like a great read!
~*~
If you're in the vicinity, I'm blogging at ARe today about things that go bump in the night.

19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know some negative people who suck the life out of me anytime they are nearby.
Congratulations, Lyndi!

Kelly Hashway said...

Yes, I think we all know people who try to suck the life out of us.

On a more fun note, I wrote a book with a psychic vampire—The Monster Within. She literally has to suck the life from others to survive. Psychic vampires are much better in fiction. ;)

Sandra Cox said...

Great minds thinking alike, Kelly. Vampire Island has pranic vampires, which is pretty darn close to psychics.

H.R. Bennett said...

I've heard of these before but, if I remember correctly, there is actually another monster that tends to be considered as a "psychic vampire". I just can't remember what the name was.

DEZMOND said...

I tend to call them energy vampires....

Valerie-Jael said...

Yes, I think we all know people like that. The book sounds really good, too. Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

lyndi alexander said...

In reality, they "suck." :)

lyndi alexander said...

That is another name for them, yes. Thanks!

lyndi alexander said...

Thanks so much for hosting me, Sandra! Thanks to all your readers, too--enjoy!

Romance Book Haven said...

I've read and met people who try to suck life out of us if we let them. I reckon they could be called that!

This books sound intriguing.

nashvillecats2 said...

This book sounds great, although I have had problems I try not "To Suck The Life"out of anyone.
Yvonne.

Elephant's Child said...

I think that too many of us know a soul sucker or two.
I also wonder whether any of them recognise that is what they are?

Sandra Cox said...

Hi Robert,
I used a pranic vampire in one of my series. Is that what you're thinking about?

Pat Hatt said...

Yep, there are many a soul sucker out there, pffft to them I say at my lair

lyndi alexander said...

As someone with chronic pain--which is how Sara Woods gets herself in trouble--I know how desperate we can be for help. If you trust the wrong people.... *shakes head*

Sandra Cox said...

Hi Val dear,
It does sound good. Doesn't it?

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks for joining us, Lyndi.

Stephanie Faris said...

I don't think I'm very sensitive or intuitive...but I'm an introvert...and people in general just exhaust me. Maybe I am more sensitive than I realize! Even a trip to the grocery store stresses me. I have this constant need to check to see if people need to be in the space I'm in, coupled with an annoyance that people are in the space I NEED to be in!

Birgit said...

It's strange about the title you have because, when I was in university, there was a young man I knew who had so many issues (his mom tried to kill him when he was 5). He was a Satanist (you know something simple and uplifting) and he took Philosophy. He was extremely brilliant and extremely troubled. He never called me but he would call my boyfriend(future husband and now ex) and another friend. he would speak to them for 2 + hours and he would call himself a psychic vampire. He would drain them to the point they wouldn't answer the phone. The sad thing is I heard he eventually did kill himself which is sad. I deal with people on a daily basis since I am a Credit Counsellor so I encounter this often. Thankfully, they are not family so it does not come home with me. It is draining though. This book sounds very interesting because it deals with pain, loss, and being intuitive-very intriguing.